When you're looking to add illuminated signage to advertise your business, a big question immediately arises: Should you choose neon or LED display signs? While we may be a bit biased, the honest truth is that LED is superior to neon in most ways.
So, here's a quick rundown of the virtues of both neon and LED display signs, if you want a quick reference guide.
The Benefits of Neon Signs
Neon has a long history, having been used for nearly a century. As an established technology, it's reliable. You know what you're going to get from it. It's everywhere, all over the world, and finding dealers and servicers for neon signs is extremely easy in virtually any city worldwide.
Additionally, many believe that neon light is more aesthetically pleasing. It gives off a much “warmer” light than LED lights do. Plus, thanks to its association with the Art Deco movement and countless films showing drizzly, neon-drenched city streets, it does have an undeniable romance to it.
Unfortunately for neon, that's about all it has going for it these days.
The Benefits of LED Display Signs
- Price: The initial prices are roughly comparable, although LEDs tend to be around 10% cheaper to purchase.
- Reusability: Once you get a neon sign, there's no changing it. LED displays can be updated as often as you like, with whatever messages you like.
- Power usage: LED displays use between 5 and 10 times less power than a comparable neon sign, leading to significant long-term cost savings.
- Maintenance: Neon tubes have to have their gasses periodically refilled, something that is best left to a (costly) professional. LED signs require virtually no maintenance and can last up to around a decade before needing to be replaced.
- Environmentalism: Neon signs are easily broken, being made of glass, and contain noxious gasses, which leak out. LED does not have this problem. Adaptive LED displays are also made in the USA, in Wisconsin.
- Brightness: LED displays are far brighter than neon. They can be seen from further away, even in broad daylight.
In short, if versatility and cost-effectiveness are priorities to you, LED display signs are the clear winner. There are some specific uses that still favor neon, but overall, LED is the all-around superior choice.
To learn more about the benefits of LED digital displays and how they can be used for your business, contact Adaptive Displays.