Now that you have your LED digital display, you will want to learn how to use it to its full potential
Using digital sign software, like Ooh!Media from Adaptive, allows you to customize your message. Keep in mind that you only have just seconds to capture a viewer's attention and engage them.
Here are ten tips to consider when you create your message:
- Keep it simple, less is more. Remember you have just a few seconds to display your message. Each frame should be clear and brief. Use a background with good color contrast or interesting imagery and very brief legible text.
- Keep messaging interesting, dynamic and relevant. Display current time and temperature. Explore the capabilities of your software's scheduler. Edit and mix up your content to appeal to different audiences at different times of the day.
- Stand out from roadside " visual wallpaper". When designing your message, use large and legible typefaces that are easily read from a distance. Drop shadows can make text pop. Keep punctuation to a minimal and pare wording down to only the core concept.
- Your display gives you 16.7 million colors- don't be afraid to use them! While a white background can be dramatic and clear on a printed page, the rules of design are a little different for LED displays. White backgrounds come off as dull or murky, they can also shorten the life of your display. In order for an LED to project white, it must fire at full power and intensity. Instead, pair pure or primary bold colors with high contrast type. Rich background colors work better during daylight hours, and more pastel he'd backgrounds in low light situations are recommended at nighttime for more color vibrancy.
- See for yourself: check out your digital display! while the software emulator is pretty accurate. we recommend you go out and look at your display in person. Get in the car and view from both directions, stop at stop light and look up, test it at different parts of the day.
- Legibility vs. Visibility. The appearance effects function of the software can be used very effectively to create movement, get attention and draw the viewer to the display from a distance. The type of fonts and sizes you select need to take into account your maximum viewing distance. A good rule of thumb is that 1" of letter height equals 40' of viewing distance.So if your digital display has a 4 foot tall face, you could display two lines of 24" letters and see this from 960 feet, but a 4 foot letter could be seen from 1,920 feet.
- Your audience changes.. and so should your message! Driving patterns vary depending on work schedules, peak business hours or entertainment districts. A great feature of the digital display software is that you can customize your messaging to target different audiences driving by in the morning, noon and night. An example for restaurant might be to advertise Breakfast special in the AM, and Prime Rib around dinnertime rush hour. Focus your promotions to capture the motorist attention based upon what's happening in your business every day. Address the wants and needs of different audiences by changing the messaging throughout the day with your software's schedule function.
- Harness the Power of Flexibility. Digital sign software's scheduler allows you to change messages second to second, minute to minute, hourly or weekly. You can even schedule all your holiday messaging for the entire year- in January! You can even arrange your messages to prioritize which one you want to show more frequently.
- Easy to use Graphic details. Digital sign software is extremely intuitive. You don't need a graphic design background to get creative. Using the message editor it will prompt you to edit down to the simplest words, the shortest and fastest comprehension. We do recommend for animation or enhance imagery or to incorporate a custom logo, you edit those files in photoshop or Paint before importing them into the program. Be sure to convert all colors to RGB and adjust as needed after viewing them up on the display. Image files for your display need to be saved at 72 pip ( pixels per inch).
- Different businesses, different tactics. Each industry is different, what works for one, might not work for another. Retail industry seize sales opportunities. Weather triggers or Seasonality could direct your promotion. Restaurants would benefit from day part scheduling software function. Local shops could show hometown love, by showing support for community events.
Find out about Adaptive's Ooh!Media's handy help menus that help you to create and perform basic day to day actions as well as more advanced messaging techniques.
Do you have a handy tip to share?